1. Note: If using fresh or dried beans make sure they have been boiled for 10 minutes before adding to the recipe as red kidneys contain a toxin that can only be destroyed with thorough cooking.
2. In a deep sided pan heat oil, combine prosciutto, celery, carrot and onion stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for around 1 minute.
3. Add stock, water, tomato and the beans to the mix and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until carrot is tender.
4. Add the cabbage then continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until the cabbage wilts.
5. Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with the parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Serve with bread.